I’m a Dutch freelance narrative designer and writer. My biggest project to date was writing Castaway Paradise, for Stolen Couch Games.
* I’m currently looking for new assignments, so don’t hesitate to contact me! * You can find me on Twitter: @wpboon, or email me: hallo at wpboon dot nl.
Doesn’t have to be about assignments. Could be about hot peppers, Connan Mockasin, or trading ‘Asterix and the Twelve Tasks’ references. Talk to me!
* August 2015: Sci-fi writing prompt generator
Wrote my first Twine game, Sci-fi Writing Prompt Generator. You can play the game on Philome.la.
For my first game, I wanted to try out some syntax things. Not focus on the storytelling part so much as on the system’s capabilities for randomness (being inspired by procedural generation in other video games).
My next Twine game will be a more traditional narrative with some puzzle elements, though, so if that’s your thing, stay tuned.
* 2013-2015: narrative designer for ‘Castaway Paradise’
Francis relates the story of Officer Kraken, the Tentacled Deputy
Castaway Paradise is a life-sim in the same vein as ‘Animal Crossing’ and ‘Harvest Moon’. The game was developed by Stolen Couch Games, over the course of 2 1/2 years. They’d been working on it for a year when I joined the team as a narrative designer.
For ‘Castaway Paradise’, I:
* developed backgrounds for 13 unique characters, based on input from the 2d artist
* wrote 200+ quests and about as many ‘chitchats’ in American English
* supervised and mentored interns
* revised quests based on game analytics
Angus was just about to get a wee snack
* 2003-2009: journalist, web editor, film critic
I wrote essays and news articles for a number of Dutch print and online magazines. Titles include:
* Filosofie Magazine
* 8WEEKLY, an online cultural magazine
* film magazine Skrien
* The catalogue of the International Documentary Festival Amsterdam
I also wrote some short stories, and poems. (Don’t look at me like that! Several poems were actually published!)
* 2004: co-writer & co-director for ‘Zo zijn de regels’
With a friend, I made a pseudo-documentary, called ‘Zo zijn de regels’ (69 min.). In it, Hans van Ree (played by poet Daniël Dee) consciously avoids all order in his life. A film crew follows him on a typical day. ‘Zo zijn de regels’ was shown in multiple student theatres.
September 2006 – December 2008
Philosophy in Context (Master, Tilburg University)
September 2005 – September 2006
Audiovisual Art / Film (unfinished), Royal Academy of the Arts, Ghent (Belgium)
August 2001 – September 2005
Philosophy (Bachelor, Rijksuniversiteit Groningen)
June – July 2015
Product Management (De Baak)
PRINCE2 Foundation (Capgemini)
October – November 2014
Copywriting (Post-Script, Hogeschool van Amsterdam)
Webteksten schrijven: de verdieping (Hogeschool Utrecht)